]]>

MAN AWARDED $750K AFTER BEER BURNS INTERNAL ORGANS

Talk about a dodgy pint!

A US man has been awarded $750,000 after a beer tainted with caustic chemicals burned his internal organs nearly killing him.

Richard Washart, a former Ocean City police lieutenant, was at a McCormick & Schmick’s restaurant in Harrah’s casino in Atlantic City in 2012 when the indicent happened.

As reported by Fortune.com, Washart had taken one gulp of the beer and immediately felt a burning pain in his throat. He vomited six times, and was unable to even drink water because of the pain. He suffered severe burns to the oesophagus and stomach, and was hospitalised for six days.

It was later confirmed that the beer Washart consumed was tainted with a caustic agent that is normally used to clean the beer tap lines.

This week, a jury ruled in his favour, awarding him $650,000 for pain and suffering and $100,000 for emotional distress.

McCormick & Schmick’s had blamed its beer lines cleaner, Kramer Beverage Co., of Hammonton who was responsible for cleaning the pipes. Kramer Beverage denied being at the restaurant when Washart drank the beer, but was still ordered to pay half the award along with McCormick & Schmick’s.

The restaurant’s parent company, Landry’s Inc., has said it will appeal the ruling.


Sign up for our newsletter for your chance to win £100 wine tasting voucher

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required
Email Format
x
x
x
Tweets by @wine_works1
x
x

Review Us

x
x

Hello.
We use cookies on this website to help us and our partners improve your browsing experience.
CloseManage Cookies